Trumbull News Detail
Annual Tunnel of Oppression project & contest underwayPosted Jan. 10, 2013
Generated and supported by the Kent State University at Trumbull Diversity Council, the 2013 edition of The Tunnel of Oppression will be displayed in the Theatre/Library Building from February 28-April 25, 2013.
The theme of the 2013 display, the fifth such to appear at Kent State Trumbull, is forgiveness. Forgiveness is not a western concept. Forgiveness is present in many cultures and traditions throughout the world. Scholars tells us that forgiving is healthy. Releasing of pent up feelings and frustrations can be liberating. “Forgiveness is a moral choice” though and not a quick fix to a real hurt or harm. There are over 29 projects currently being funded on the topic of forgiveness.
In conjunction with the 2013 theme, the Diversity Council is sponsoring a poster/art project contest. Posters or other mediums must address the theme and be submitted no later than February 28, 2013.
Submitted posters or projects must address one of the following themes on forgiveness:
Themes - Forgiving, the Forgiven and the Forgiver:
- What is forgiveness? Requirements of forgiveness
- The spiritual dimension: Is it really divine to forgive?
- Forgive and forget? Self, families, friends, strangers
- Benefits to forgiveness: emotional, psychological, physical
- Limits on forgiveness: Genocide, adultery, child abuse etc...
- Research on the healing properties of forgiveness
- Forgiveness in action: “Truth and Reconciliation” commissions, tribunals and healing ceremonies
- Letting go of “grudges”
Criteria for evaluation:
- Overall power of the message
- Clarity & Emotional tension
- Integrity, Originality & Creativity
Acceptable mediums or submission types:
- Posters: 11" x 17" (smallest) to standard poster size 24" x 36"
- Collages, drawings & paintings
Judging will be conducted by members of the Diversity Council and/or affiliated members
Prizes will be awarded as follows:
- First Place: Kent State University book bag
- Second Place: Kent State University sweatshirt
- Third Place: Kent State University t-shirt
- Honorable mention (3): Kent State University ball cap
Contestants must be enrolled students at Kent State University at Trumbull at the time of the submission deadline. Posters must be no smaller than 11" x 17" and no larger than 22" x 28". No digital submissions will be accepted. The deadline for submissions is February 28, 2013.
Posters should be submitted to Dr. Mary Wilson via the Information Desk, located inside the Classroom/Administration Building and should include the submitter's name, street address, phone number and e-mail address.